April 18, 2006

Music: Altronica... Volume 3

Like Volumes 1 and 2, Altronica 3 is a collection of my favorite tunes from the realms of Alternative, Electronic, Contemporary Acoustic and Pop-Rock. All of the songs are available on iTunes and I tried to get them in a decent order. Surprisingly, missing from the list are two of my favorite bands: Death Cab for Cutie and Coldplay. Sorry fellas, next time I guess. Here are some short descriptions to give you an idea of what I like about each song:

Bodyrockers - I Like The Way (Radio Edit)
Get things off to a good start with this Diet Coke commercial song. This is a great tune for jumping around, playing air guitar, making a fool of yourself.
Sarah McLachlan
- Witness
Beautiful, as always. This is an older song from her album "Surfacing." Great voice, great guitar solo, great production.
Tally Hall - Greener
This is the greatest band! Seriously, I'm nuts about these guys (see my post from a couple weeks ago).
The Weepies - World Spins Madly On
The band might not be very noticeable but this is one of the sweetest songs I've heard in a long time. Puts me in a very reflective mood. "Thought of you... and how you're gone..."
Persephone's Bees - Nice Day (Album Version)
Cool tune, that's about it.
Rilo Kiley - American Wife (Non-album Track)
Oooh, Jenny Lewis sure can pull off some serious sarcasm. Makes me squirm but I love every minute.
KT Tunstall
- Suddenly I See
Very radio-worthy track from Scotland's take on a classy, guitar playing version of Kelly Clarkson.
The Flaming Lips - The Spark That Bled
Classic Lips... not really sure what Wayne's singing about but that's what makes it so meaningful.
Frou Frou - Flicks
This band features Imogen Heap, the soulful, skillful singer who's electronically harmonious "Hide and Seek" is still one of my favorite songs of all time.
Aqualung
- Strange And Beautiful (I'll Put A Spell On You)
Sounds like Coldplay's kid brother but it's still pretty nice stuff.
Nickel Creek
- Somebody More Like You
Off their latest album "Why Should The Fire Die?" This is Nickel Creek at their popiest but they still manage fantastic musicianship, a creative arrangment and beautiful harmonies.
dZihan & Kamien - Slowhand Hussein
"Freaks and Idols" will always be one of my favorite electronic/techno/acid-jazz CDs. These guys know how to lay down a groove.
Damone
- Out Here All Night
Loud, fast, angry... not usually my cup of tea but for some reason I just liked this tune.
Gorillaz
- Kids With Guns
Certainly one of the most unique Alternative bands around. I like the bass line. "Dah, dah dah... dah, dah."
Tally Hall - The Bidding
I'm not kidding about this band, I really like them!
Trespassers William - Different Stars
This song hits a sweet spot for me right between dreamy and mellow; lonely and detached. Very cool, great vocals.
Iron & Wine
- The Trapeze Swinger
This nine-minute masterpiece is a wonderful example of Sam Beam's elegant poetry and subtle instrumentation. It's easy (and very enjoyable) to get lost in his weaving, rolling, whispered lyrics and layers of guitars, light percussion and ocassional piano.