April 01, 2006

GBT in Dallas!

Hi everyone. I'm writing from Dallas, Texas because, well that's where I happen to be. GBT is playing for When In Doubt, Swing! and we've actually got to get back soon for the evening dance. Right now we're crashing at Rhonda Beckman's which is a pretty amazing place. Big house, big pool, big trees, lots of big stuff. It's in a big city with big buildings, big roads and big cars. The yards and lawns and landscaping in this neighborhood is incredible. Ponds and bridges and fountains. Beautiful gardens. There's even this life-sized, half naked mermaid statue in this one person's front lawn. That's just funny to me. I mean, what the heck is a mermaid supposed to be doing in Dallas, TX? There's supposedly a big party here after the dance tonight but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stay awake. It's been a long day. Great fun but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Everything is so green and loud and... big. I guess I said that already. So far my birding has been limited to the suburbs but I have gotten three lifers: Great-tailed Grackles (everywhere!), White-winged Dove and Carolina Chickadee. Should see more once we get out of the city. It's been pretty warm and very humid the past couple days but I'm beginning to adjust. Anyway, I going to try and get a nap in quick. Or maybe a snack. See y'all later now...