March 13, 2006

Music: Tally Hall

This is one of the most off the wall, deliciously dorky and thoroughly enjoyable bands I've come across in a long time. Hailing from Ann Arbor, Michigan (yeah, I know... Michigan?) these guys have a pretty unique sound to say the least. Somewhere in between Franz Ferdinand, The Flaming Lips, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Weird Al Yankovic, Tally Hall sets up camp with intense vocal blends, fantastic musicianship and totally unpredictable arrangements. I mean, these guys are way over the top, but I think one of the reasons I like them so much is that they don't quite take themselves that seriously. Their debut album Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum is mind-bending extravaganza of amazing noises, intriguing sounds and frequently, some very cool music. Lyrically they are often clever and occasionally funny; just don't expect anything too deep or philosophical and you'll be fine. So if you're ready to hear your world in a whole new light I suggest Tally Hall may be just the thing you're looking for.

PS: Remember, these guys are from Michigan so try to cut them a little slack...