February 21, 2011

Europe Part I: Munich & Salzburg

Hello there folks. Sarah and I are almost done now with our trip to Europe. And I've got quite a pile of pics I've been waiting to upload. So I'll start at the beginning. We arrived in Munich on February 17. Took us a little while to get over the jet lag; we mainly just crashed at our hotel room and did a little birding in the English Garden (more on that later of course). The next day we went to the Nymphenburg Palace... Now I know mid-winter probably isn't the best time of year to visit but it was still spectacular. We did lots of walking. Also, their subway system is pretty awesome. This is me, somewhere on the palace grounds...We met Gabi and Peter in Salzburg on Saturday. It's been great to see them again. We first met Gabi back in highschool. She was a foreign exchange student and lived with the Zieglers for six months or so. And she's been back to visit us a bunch of times. So the main purpose of our trip was to visit her! Salzburg was wonderful of course. Beautiful, old city. We visited the house where Mozart was born. And this crazy science museum. But the real highlight for me was seeing this awesome castle overlooking the city...
Gabi and Peter in the courtyardA view of the city from the castleAnd some other pics... here's Gabi with Austria's most widely-recognized marsupial... Peter, Gabi and me I've got lots more but the internet is being kind of slow right now. So I'll post again soon...