February 02, 2006

A Really Lame Holiday


Hello again. So, they tell me today is Groundhog's Day. Yup, groundhogs actually get a 'Day' now. Does this seem strange to anyone else? I mean, when was the last time we had a 'Vole Day' or a 'Squirrel Day' or an 'opossum Day'? Don't other furry little animals cast shadows besides groundhogs? This is just another classic (albeit, rodent related) case of social discrimination. Sure, the groundhogs are doing just great, but what about the woodchucks, or the poor neglected gophers? Nobody seems to think of them. Personally, this seems like a waste of a holiday to me. What's there to celebrate? You just can't throw a wild Groundhog's Day party. It doesn't work. Oh well, those are my Groundhog's Day reflections.
In other news, well, I guess there isn't much other news right now. My year list is at 58 which is starting to get kind of pathetic. I still need lots of ducks, white-winged gulls, Snow Bunting and Horned Lark. Don't have many half-hardies yet either. Hoping to go out tomorrow and add 5 or 6 birds. So wish me luck. If I see anything, I'll let you know.
~Andrew