July 06, 2010

Summer Part II: Ashokan and Wisconsin

Back last night from a wonderful 9+ days of music and dancing! I got to hang with a bunch of friends at Ashokan last week which was awesome as always. Check out Facebook for pics. Jon Gersh also posted a bunch of pics here. Below is a little video of me during one of the staff performances...

The song is called Poor Rebel Soldier and I learned it from my good friend John Rossbach. The banjo tune at the beginning and end is one of mine called A Song For Reverend P.D. Midgett III and it's on our new album All The Good Summers.
After Ashokan I drove to Newark and then flew to Wisconsin; GBT played for the IndepenDance Daze Weekend and we had a great time. Lots of friends, great dancers, beautiful place, etc. My first time in Wisconsin! Then yesterday I flew back to Newark and picked up my car, drove to Ashokan and picked up a bunch of gear that I left there, had a late lunch with Jay and Molly then drove home. Would have been a much more tedious car ride if I hadn't had my brand new 4-disc Ray Charles box set! Woohoo! Anyway, now I'm just trying to get everything set for the rest of the summer. Really looking forward to Grey Fox and Falcon Ridge. Maybe I'll see you there???

John-Michael just sent me the finished version of the Great Bear Groove music video we shot last month. Check it out...

I'm totally stoked about the way it turned out. Share it, post it, forward it, then get your butt out on the dance floor this summer! And actually, along those same lines, did any of you catch the NPR piece on Youth in Contra Dancing? Another totally "share" worthy link. Okay, I need to go vacuum and clean the house up a bit. It is soooooo frickin hot :-/ Uhgg... I think one of Dr VanOrstrum's Famous "Elixir of Love" Milkshakes might be in my immediate future...