November 30, 2008

A Notoriously Pleasant Thanksgiving

Hello all. Last night Sarah, Anna and I headed out to Rochester to see our friends Notorious (Eden & Larry + Mark). It was a great dance! Eden is one of the best and certainly one of the most underrated fiddlers I've ever heard. Her command of the instrument is astounding but she's also got a great ear for improvisation and a fantastic, kick-but sense of rhythm. There are tons of good players out there in every genre but almost nobody can really, truly, successfully blend classical training with folk music. The only fiddler I can think of that comes close to matching her is Stuart Duncan. So yeah, we had a good time :-)Sarah and AnnaJim and Kat (or is it Cat? I can't remember)Tony... we're all going to miss you! Julie, Dan, Erin and KatyHope you all had a great Thanksgiving! GBT is in Ohio next week, then we'll be home for a bit more before Christmas. Enjoy the... umm... sleet I guess...